Update your SQL Server skills with this introduction to the new features of SQL Server 2016. You’ll learn the new features for performance, security, availability and scalability, reporting and Power BI, data access, and SQL Server OLAP, and you’ll learn about new SQL Server cloud functionality.
Each individual Microsoft Official Course On-Demand includes 3 months (or 12 months with purchase of Microsoft Total Access Collection) of 24x7 access to the following:
HD-quality streaming videos that adapt to your connection speed and device
Hands-on live labs with integrated lab steps and ability to save and resume labs
Knowledge checks for comprehensive assessments
24x7 mentoring via chat, email and phone
What You’ll Learn
Key capabilities and components of SQL Server 2016.
New and enhanced features of SQL Server performance.
New and enhanced features of SQL Server security.
New features in SQL Server availability and scalability.
New and enhanced features in reporting and Power BI in SQL Server 2016.
New and enhanced features of data access.
New and enhanced features in SQL Server OLAP.
New SQL Server cloud functionality.
Who Needs to Attend
Database professionals with experience in SQL Server 2014 who want to update their skills to SQL Server 2016.
Those holding MCSA: SQL Server certification who want to prepare for the upcoming upgrade exam for SQL Server 2016 certification.
In addition to your professional experience, you should have the following technical knowledge:
Experience building and managing database, data warehouse, and business intelligence (BI) solutions with SQL Server 2014.
Familiarity with the Windows Server 2012 R2 operating system and networking.
Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013.
Querying Data with Transact-SQL (M20761)
Administering a SQL Database Infrastructure (M20764)
Provisioning SQL Databases (M20765)
Implementing a SQL Data Warehouse (M20767)
1. . Introduction to SQL Server 2016
• Overview of SQL Server 2016
• SQL Server 2016 Editions and Components
• Installing SQL Server 2016
• SQL Server Management Studio Enhancements
2. What’s New in SQL Server Performance
• Operational Analytics
• In-memory OLTP Enhancements
• The Query Data Store
• Native JSON
• Temporal Tables
3. What’s New in SQL Server Security?
• Using Always Encrypted
• Row-level Security
• Dynamic Data Masking
4. What’s New in SQL Server Availability and Scalability?
• Enhanced AlwaysOn Availability Groups
• What’s New with tempdb?Using Windows Server 2016
• PowerShell 5.0
5. What’s New in SQL Server Reporting and BI?
• Reporting Services Enhancements
• PowerBI Enhancements
• Mobile Report Publisher
6. What’s New in SQL Server Data Access?
• Enhancements to Integration Services
• Working with SSIS and Azure
7. New and Enhanced Features in SQL Server OLAP
• New and Enhanced Features in SQL Server OLAP
• What’s New in SQL Server Analysis Services
8. What’s New for SQL Server in the Cloud?
• Stretch Database
• Enhanced Backups to Azure
• Introduction to SQL Server 2016 Hybrid Cloud
• What’s New in SQL Server Azure Database
Lab 1: Exploring SQL Server 2016
• Key elements of SQL Server 2016
• Components and editions of SQL Server 2016
• Install SQL Server 2016
• Enhancement to SQL Server Management Studio
Lab 2: Implementing SQL Server 2016 Performance Improvements
• Use of Columnstore indexes for operational analytics
• Enhancements to in-memory OLTP
• Use the query data store
• Use Native JSON
• Use temporal tables
Lab 3: Implementing SQL Server 2016 Security Improvements
• Implement a logical design for a data warehouse
• Implement a physical design for a data warehouse
Lab 4: Monitoring tempdb
• Enhancements to AlwaysOn availability groups
• What’s new in database caching
• Use Windows Server 2016 with SQL Server 2016
Lab 5: Implementing PowerBI
• Enhancements to reporting services
• Enhancements to PowerBI
Lab 6: Exploring the new features of SQL Server Integrated services (SSIS)
• Install PolyBase
• Enhancements to SSIS
Lab 7: OLAP with SQL Server
• New and enhanced features in SQL Server OLAP
• New and enhanced features in SQL Server analysis services
Lab 8: Using Stretch Database
• Stretch databases and why you would use them
• Enhanced backup options
• SQL Server hybrid cloud
• What’s new in SQL Server Azure database